Myopia or shortsightedness is one of most common refractive errors in the world that affects your ability to see objects far away but it can be easily treated with Laser Eye Surgery at Optilase.
In a normal eye, parallel rays of light pass through the body of the eye where they are bent, or refracted before landing on the retina at the back of the eye.
But when there is a refractive error, such as in the case of a myopic eye, those light rays tend to land in front of, rather than on the retina. Because of this misplacement of the refracted light, you will experience blurred vision.
How Eye Structure affects Myopia
The internal structure of your eye is intrinsically linked to the likelihood of you suffering from myopia:
- Axial Myopia: Length of your eyeball is longer than normal
- Corneal Myopia: Curvature of the cornea is too steep.
- Lenticular Myopia: Abnormally shaped lens
Three Types of Myopia
- Simple Myopia – The condition is present at birth or manifests shortly thereafter.
- Acquired Myopia – Myopia can be influenced by environmental factors and constant use of near vision can cause the eye focusing mechanism to severely affect distance vision. Prolonged periods of reading, as well as the use of computer games, smartphones and computers can trigger myopia.
- Induced Myopia – With certain diseases such as diabetes, near vision can be reduced when the cornea, lens or retina are affected.
How does Laser Eye Surgery correct Myopia?
In order to eliminate myopia using Laser Eye Surgery, the refractive index of the eye must be lessened so that light rests on the retina instead of in front of it.
Laser Eye Surgery works by removing microscopic amounts of corneal tissue in order to flatten its curvature slightly in order to lengthen the focal point of incoming light.
In less than 30 minutes, both myopic eyes are corrected and distance vision is restored so that you never have to rely on glasses or contact lenses again.
What is Astigmatism? How Can Laser Eye Surgery Help You?What is Astigmatism? Astigmatism is a common eyesight problem across Ireland. Some people...Read more
10 facts that will help you overcome your laser eye surgery anxietyFirst off, let’s clarify one thing: undergoing laser eye surgery is a very...Read more
Hyperopia, Myopia, and Presbyopia: What exactly are they?As is the case with pretty much any medical treatments, you will encounter...Read more
Optilase Q&A with Leanne WoodfullAs an in-demand top blogger, you’re pretty busy 24/7. What gave you the push...Read more
15 fascinating facts about eyes!While most of us appreciate and are somewhat in awe of just how incredible...Read more
What exactly is astigmatism?The word astigmatism must be one of the most commonly misspelt words in the...Read more